first_imgThomason said a service contractor performing work on the roof tripped a fuse about 2 p.m. Facilities supervisor Byron Moline worked fast to dispatch a city maintenance worker to fix the problem. Thomason could not recall another closure during his nine years with the city. [email protected] (661) 257-5255160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SANTA CLARITA – A power outage triggered by a repairman shut down three-story Santa Clarita City Hall on Tuesday afternoon. An emergency generator switched on power to first-floor offices, two elevators, restrooms and the computer server room. But many workers in second- and third-floor offices toiled in the dark for about an hour, their computer screens black. They were sent home at 3 p.m., though some high-level staff members remained. At 3:40 p.m., City Manager Ken Pulskamp, who occupies a window office, said the outage did not disrupt his workday. “I just met with the fire chief and discussed improvements to the development process. Now I’m preparing to facilitate a strategic plan with the Domestic Violence (Center) group for tomorrow, and I have a 5:30 meeting with representatives of the Castaic Lake Water Agency,” he said. “I still have plenty to do.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhy these photogenic dumplings are popping up in Los AngelesPulskamp, who acknowledged offices had grown warm after the air conditioner failed about 2 p.m., ordered the closure. The generator was not powerful enough to serve the entire building. In the late afternoon, the National Weather Service said Tuesday’s highs in town ranged from 97 degrees to 104 degrees. The approximately 75,000-square-foot building was opened as a bank in 1986 and retrofitted by the city after the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. Of the 330 people employed by the city, 150 to 200 work in the building, said Evan Thomason, a city spokesman. Donna Nuzzi, the city’s emergency services supervisor, said that while the situation was inconvenient, it did not rise to the level of emergency. The city’s first floor command center, where emergency operations and the phone network are based, remained cool. “It’s a facility issue. We’re not serving the community well, we cannot process permits and things, we cannot do business as usual,” she said. last_img